Workshop – Data Science for Managers
Friday, September 21, Washington DC
Full day: 9:00am – 4:30pm
Intended Audience: Business managers, executives and leaders interested in data science.
Program Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Recommend Field of Study:
- Computer Science
- Finance and Marketing
Instructional Method: Group – Live
CPE Credit’s received for completion:
- 1.5 CPE Credits for Management Adv Service
- 1.5 Statistics
- 1.5 Specialized Knowledge and Apps
- 1.5 Business mgmt. and org
This 1-day workshop is an introduction to data science for executives and managers of data science programs. It provides a high-level overview of modern data science concepts, tools, and techniques from a management perspective. All stages of the data science lifecycle will be discussed in the context of agile management methodologies using real-world case studies. Managers will learn how to identify skilled data scientists and build data science teams that use sound scientific methods to meet their organization’s objectives. Leaders will learn to ask the right questions, solve the right problems, keep data science projects on track, ensure their solutions are deployed and avoid common pitfalls along the way. Both technical and non-technical participants will benefit from this workshop and be equipped with the knowledge necessary to lead effective data science programs in their organizations.
What you will learn:
- Basic concepts of data science and advanced analytics
- Agile planning within a typical data science project lifecycle
- Project scoping by defining appropriate data science tasks and objectives
- Best and worst data science practices
There are no prerequisites for this workshop; however, it is best suited for participates who:
- Have executive or mid-level management experience
- Are currently managing or planning to manage data science projects
Participants will learn how to:
- Understand fundamental concepts of data science
- Plan and manage the data science project lifecycle using agile techniques
- Define the appropriate data science problem to solve
- Build effective data science teams within an organization
- Avoid common pitfalls in data science management
- Workshop starts at 9:00am
- Morning Coffee Break at 10:30am – 11:00am
- Lunch provided at 12:30pm – 1:15pm
- Afternoon Coffee Break at 3:00pm – 3:30pm
- End of the Workshop: 4:30pm
Coffee breaks and lunch are included.
Carl Hoover PhD, Chief Technology Officer, Elder Research
As CTO, Dr. Carl Hoover is responsible for Elder Research’s long-term technical strategy and our R&D investment. Carl loves exploring new tools and techniques to keep ERI at the cutting-edge of data science technology. He believes that innovation will enable Elder Research to serve our clients with value and excellence. Carl has contributed to and led a wide-range of analytics projects over the years. He played a key role in growing our Defense & Intelligence business, helping establish Elder Research as a leader in insider threat, counterintelligence and security analytics.
Before being named our first CTO in 2017, Carl rose through the ranks of Elder Research, first working as a scientist at our start-up office in John Elder’s basement. He worked on investment, marketing, banking and pharmaceutical analytics in those days, but he is most fond of the his very first project developing Corona graphs for portfolio selection models. Coronas eventually became ERI’s company logo.
Carl earned M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from Clarkson University and a B.S. degree from the University of Virginia in Mechanical Engineering. His doctoral work on prosthetic leg impedance control resulted in the first successful stair ascent and multi-function control of a powered transfemoral prosthesis.